Chief Executive Officer
Boys and Girls Clubs of America | Indianapolis, IN
Industry: Cool Jobs, Recreation / Parks
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis (BGCI) offers youth development programs to a growing registered membership of some 6,000 youth ages 5 - 18, serving over 1,000 youth and teens on a daily basis, at its thirteen Club sites. The organization provides programs and activities to youth ages 5 - 18 after-school and during the summer focusing on academic success, healthy lifestyles, and good character and leadership. The Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis, celebrating 125 years of service to the Indianapolis market, operates 5 traditional Clubs throughout Indianapolis, as well as 8 school-based sites in elementary and middle schools. The Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for an annual operating budget approaching $5 million and will work with 150+ staff.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis relies upon the philanthropic support of individuals, corporations and foundations in order to sustain and grow its services, and provide the needed financial support to all members, including those with economic hardship, assuring no child is ever turned away. Funds generated for the Clubs help build a stronger future for the youth of today and the leaders of tomorrow.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA), established in 1860, is a national nonprofit youth organization comprising 4,300 Clubs across the country and on U.S. military installations worldwide. These facilities help 4 million young people connect with opportunities for personal growth and achievement. Forbes, Newsweek, U.S. News & World Report, and SmartMoney have all ranked BGCA among the top charitable organizations in America based on cost-effective use of donor dollars. For the last two years, Worth magazine ranked BGCA as one of America's top 100 charities, based on financial efficiency, strength or reputation, and program effectiveness.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis provide a safe haven for young people from distressed communities across Indianapolis. Their mission is to enhance the lives of young people and their families by providing a positive environment that cultivates academic success, healthy lifestyles, good character and citizenship. The Clubs offer young people what they need and want most: adults who respect and listen to them; a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves; and interesting, constructive activities that channel their energy into challenging pursuits. All Boys & Girls Club programs are based on a youth development strategy that builds self-confidence and self-esteem, and fosters a sense of belonging, competence, usefulness and influence. Club members choose from several program areas, which activities they like. All programs have a youth development professional for supervision.
Character and Leadership Development
- This area empowers youth to support and influence their Club and community, sustain meaningful relationships with others, develop a positive self-image, participate in the democratic process and respect their own and others' cultural identities.
Education and Career Development
- Enables youth to become proficient in basic educational disciplines apply learning to everyday situations and embrace technology.
Health and Life Skills
- Develops young people's capacity to engage in positive behaviors that nurture their own well-being, set personal goals and develop the competencies to live successfully as self-sufficient adults.
- Enables youth to develop their creativity and cultural awareness through knowledge and appreciation of visual and tactile arts and crafts, performing arts and creative writing.
Sports, Fitness and Recreation
- This area develops fitness, positive use of leisure time, skills for stress management, appreciation for the environment and social and interpersonal skills.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for managing the strategic direction of the organization and operations of the Clubs, in support of organizational mission and goals. The CEO will also collaborate with the Board of Directors in developing the organization's fund development and revenue generation strategy and goals, securing and allocating sufficient resources to sustain the Clubs' mission and operational requirements; serving as a leadership figure and role model; establishing effective policies and procedures for the organization; creating and implementing cutting-edge marketing and brand initiatives to raise awareness of the Boys and Girls Club's mission and work in the community; and providing support and guidance to the organization's volunteer boards and staff to promote organizational best practices.
- Ensure the effective operation and delivery of programs within the Clubs and community:
- Support the organization's mission and principles.
- Maintain an environment that facilitates the achievement of youth development outcomes.
- Drive and ensure delivery of programs, services and activities that support youth development outcomes.
- Establish and monitor adherence to policies and procedures.
- Lead strategic planning processes that result in the development and implementation of high quality strategic plans on an ongoing basis.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for improvement and implement plans accordingly.
- Identify, recruit and develop effective board members.
- Ensure active participation by Board members and support effective roles and functioning. Ensure Board committees are provided with the information and support necessary to fulfill their objectives.
- Ensure the annual budget is funded and organization has adequate cash flow.
- Develop strategic plans to generate revenues through a variety of fund raising techniques. Identify, cultivate and solicit donors. Oversee planning and implementation of special events.
- Provide guidance to staff and volunteers performing resource development functions.
- Develop, implement and monitor the Club's annual budget.
- Implement administrative and operational systems to support effective operations.
- Ensure productive and effective staff performance, providing guidance, feedback and opportunities for professional development.
- Develop and implement plans for updating existing technology and resources:
- Ensure the acquisition and allocation of funds for implementing and updating existing technology and resources.
- Ensure the maintenance of Club technology and information management systems.
- Develop strategic alliances with community leaders and local officials. Develop collaborative partnerships with other youth serving organizations, members, parents, families, funders and community organizations.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Ensure visibility of Club programs, services and activities and maintain good public relations.
Requirements KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS REQUIRED
The CEO must be a passionate advocate of BGCI's mission who is committed to improving outcomes for all youth. The organization is seeking a highly credible, proven and proactive professional with a minimum of five years of executive leadership experience managing programs or operations in the nonprofit and/or for-profit sectors. S/he should have the ability to provide innovative leadership to an affiliate of a nationally renowned youth-serving nonprofit organization.
- The ability to passionately lead and contribute to the mission, objectives, policies, high quality programs and procedures of Boys & Girls Clubs; the principles and practices of managing nonprofit organizations; and resource development activities including capital campaigns and sources of funding.
- Financial savvy and business acumen.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, community groups, and other related agencies, and be a fixture in the community who is inspirational and a proactive connector and facilitator of innovative youth development programs.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement effective operations.
- Overall leadership skills, including negotiation, problem solving and decision making.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- A minimum of five years' experience in managing programs or operations in a nonprofit agency or transferable experience in the private sector and a passion for the mission of the organization.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required. An MBA or other relevant advanced degree is desirable.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
DO NOT APPLY ON BGCA WEBSITE. Please send resumes and cover letters to the following:
John Amer, Senior Client Partner firstname.lastname@example.org
Brett Fowler, Senior Associate email@example.com
• Post ID: 33162047 indianapolis